Our Realtime servers are all located in the UK in our hosting provider Rackspace’s London data centre. Rackspace are one of the global leaders in server hosting and provide some of the most robust systems and processes within the industry, including:
- 24/7/365 support and server monitoring
- Guaranteed 100% network uptime
- IS027001 certified data centre
- One hour hardware replacement SLA
Our server environment within the data centre is built for uptime and security, including:
- A private managed virtualisation environment ensures that all client data is only held on Skills for Health servers (not the public cloud as with some other providers)
- VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) & High Availability (HA) ensures automatic load balancing of servers and automatic failover of servers should any hardware problems occur
- All live, test and development websites protected by HTTPS encryption certified by Thawte (green bar / padlock) to ensure trust data remains secure in transit
- Environment protected by industry standard Cisco ASA firewalls including intrusion prevention and detection
- Strong application level client partitioning and access control
Additionally Skills for Health are registered as level 2 compliant on the NHS Information Governance Toolkit.
System Availability - Our web-based Time Management and E-Rostering system is available to users from any location from almost any device with a web browser 24/7/365, with a guaranteed 99.9% uptime which we have consistently achieved since the launch of the web-based system in 2009. Most system updates can be deployed without any downtime, and for any planned maintenance which does require downtime this is scheduled out of hours to minimise the impact on users, with users given advance notice of any planned maintenance.
System Performance - System capacity is reviewed regularly to ensure that expected response times are maintained even during periods of peak activity, with a virtual hosting environment allowing us to quickly scale up server capacity as and when required. Our pro-active application monitoring system allows us to view both application server and actual end user browser loading times in real-time, and we use industry-standard ‘Apdex’ measurement to ensure that users achieve consistently fast performance from the application.
Backup - Backups of all servers are taken on a nightly basis and retained for two weeks. In addition to this on the servers themselves we store up to six months of database back-ups in order to recover data which clients may have inadvertently deleted or changed, providing complete peace of mind for users.